Family Law in California
Orange County Family Law Attorney Explains What You Need to Know About Divorce, Child Custody and More
California family law consists of a complex series of statutes, local rules and procedures. As a result, our divorce attorneys understand the ins and outs of California family law and are familiar with the courts and judges. Our litigation and mediation experience allows us to guide you to a better future.
Each Orange County family law attorney at our firm can assist with a variety of family law matters, such as:
- Child Custody
- Child Support
- Spousal Support
- Military Divorce
- Paternity Law
- Restraining Orders and Domestic Violence
- Restraining Order Defense
- Prenuptial Agreements and Post-Nuptial Agreements
8 Facts About California Family Law You Need to Know
- California is a no-fault divorce state. This means you do not have to prove that your spouse committed an act of wrongdoing to divorce him or her. For example, irreconcilable differences is sufficient.
- Prior to filing for divorce, you or your spouse must have lived in California for six months.
- There is no such thing as common law marriage in California.
- Divorcing parents must attend mediation sessions if they have disagreements about child custody. If they cannot agree on a plan, then the mediator will come up with his her or own plan to present to the judge.
- Parents may be asked to take drug tests. Those results could then affect their visitation and custody rights.
- California’s community property laws allow for an equal property distribution of marital assets during a divorce. However, couples often disagree about what counts as marital property since separate property is not part of the community property division.
- California prenuptial agreements have no authority over child support or child custody issues.
- If you and your registered domestic partner’s child was born before January 1, 2005, then the law assumes that both of you are the child’s parents.
Get Your California Family Law Questions Answered During a Free Consultation Today
We opened Orange County Family Law Associates to help people who do not know where to turn. Our friendly, compassionate divorce attorneys adapt their strategies to fit your unique situation and maximize your chance of success.
To learn more, schedule a free consultation with us today. There is no charge to meet with an Orange County family law attorney at our firm. Furthermore, we offer very competitive attorney fee rates for divorce and other family law cases with adjustable retainers depending on the complexity. Call today or fill out an online contact form to get started.